Statement of support
Engagement with the EITI
Finland has supported the EITI directly through funding provided to its International Management, as well as through World Bank since 2019. Finland has pledged to provide EUR 700,000 for the initiative during the three year period 2020–2022 to deliver on the EITI's work plans mandated by the EITI International Board.
Finland is currently a member of the EITI Board 2019-2021 and is an active member of the EITI Validation Committee (see more about the EITI Board committees here). Prior to the current term, Finland has been an EITI Board Member through 2013-2015.
Finland supports countries implementing the EITI Standard in Africa through capacity building on taxation and tax transparency. It also provides countries with direct financial support and has partnerships such as the:
- African Tax Administration Forum ATAF
- Tanzania Revenue Authority TRA
- Tax Justice Network Africa TJNA
- UNDP/Tax Inspectors Without Borders
- Publish What You Pay, particularly in Uganda, Tanzania and Mozambique
- The United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER
Finland believes that the EITI could serve as an instrument for strengthening its implementing countries’ taxation capacity and could also provide a framework for more transparent taxation of multinational corporations by means of international agreements.